My Mom and aunts used to make these every Christmas when I was a child. It was the only time of year this tasty snack made an appearance in our household. The recipe has been tweaked by my cousins and I over the years so a unique version exists in each home come the holiday season. I like a deep buttery flavour so my Nuts & Bolts are a little richer than most but what the heck… It’s only once a year!
- 8 C Cheerios
- 8 C Crispix
- 1 box Bugles
- 4 C pretzels (use the mini version)
- 1 lb peanuts
- 1/2 lb butter (1 C)
- 1/2 C peanut butter
- 1 T Worcester sauce
- 1T garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp hot smoked chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste!)
Preheat oven to 300 F
- In a large roasting pan mix together the Cheerios, Crispix, pretzels, Bugles and peanuts.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in a microwavable bowl and microwave on high until the peanut butter and butter have melted. Give it a stir before pouring it over the dry ingredients. Mix until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Place the roasting pan on the middle rack of the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 200 F. Bake stirring every 15 minutes or so until the Nuts & Bolts are dried out and toasty. Let cool completely and then store in several airtight containers.