Popovers are a classic. My mom used to make these to accompany a Beef Roast which often graced our family table for Sunday dinner. Nowadays I am likely to serve these any old day of the week. I made the popovers pictured here just last night. Beef Barley Soup was on the menu and I felt the need for something extra on the side and these popovers came together quickly. We ate them with the soup and smeared some butter and jam on the leftover popovers for dessert!
- 3 T melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 C milk
- 1 C unbleached white flour
- ½ tsp salt
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Brush the inside of your muffin tin with melted butter and place on the middle rack of your preheated oven while you mix up the rest of the ingredients. The secret to getting a nice and high popover is to have the buttered pan hot when you add the batter. Use about 1 T of the melted butter.
- Place the rest of the ingredients, including what remains of the melted butter, into a blender and process on high until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Remove the hot muffin pan from the oven and fill each muffin cup about half way up with the batter.
- Place back into oven on the middle rack and bake for 18 – 20 minutes until the popovers have risen and are a nice golden brown colour.
Yield 6 – 8 popovers (depending on the size of your muffin pan cups).