Glenn and I have decided to shed a few pounds and to that end we’ve been cutting back on carbs and increasing our protein consumption. Last night a craving for pizza consumed Glenn, so I decided to help the poor guy out and we both enjoyed this tasty treat. Of course, in keeping with our new eating plan, it’s a low carb version. I’ve adapted the cauliflower crust (yes, I did mean cauliflower!) from a Paula Deen recipe.
For the Crust
- 3 C grated cauliflower
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ C mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 T parmesan cheese, finely grated
For the Topping
- ½ C tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cooking onions, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ C black olives (dried & cured in olive oil), stone removed & cut into small pieces
- several roasted garlic cloves
- Pepperoni, cut into thin slices
- ½ C Slow Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ C mozzarella cheese
- 2 T parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 F
- Use a box grater to grate the cauliflower. Place the grated cauliflower into a glass measuring cup and microwave on high until it’s beginning to soften. It only took 3 minutes in my microwave but it’s a powerful commercial version so the amount of time will depend on the microwave you have in your kitchen. Most will probably require 7 or 8 minutes on high.
- This next step is crucial for a successful crust. Make sure to blot out the excess moisture from the cauliflower using a clean kitchen towel before proceeding.
- Now mix the partially cooked cauliflower with the beaten egg, mozzarella and 2 T of the parmesan cheese.
- Line a round pizza pan with a piece of parchment paper, cut to size. Coat with a quick spray of cooking oil. Spread the cauliflower/cheese mixture around evenly in the pan and place on the middle rack of your preheated oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the crust begins to turn a nice golden brown colour. Don’t turn off the oven yet!
- While the crust is baking, carmeilize the sliced onions over medium heat (using 1 T of olive oil). Also cook the bacon in a separate skillet over medium high heat and cut into bite-sized pieces when done.
- Start to layer your toppings on the crust beginning with the sauce. Sprinkle with the oregano & basil and then layer the rest of the ingredients on top ending with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Place the pizza back in the oven, on the middle rack, for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a bit before cutting into wedges