My friend Pat was good enough to share the last of her wax bean crop this year. Lucky us! So, tonight I am preparing these beautiful beans with the basil from my herb pot and some garlic (Last week’s bounty from Pat’s garden).
- ½ C packed basil leaves (reserve a few for garnish)
- ¼ C pine nuts
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced or pushed through a press
- ¼ C olive oil
- ¼ C finely grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper & salt to taste
- 3 C wax beans, washed & trimmed
- Combine basil leaves, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor. Pulse a few times then pour in the olive oil and process until smooth. Add the grated parmesan and pulse a few more times until a paste forms. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. You can use a blender to make the pesto as well but you will have to scrape the sides down more often.
- I usually leave the yellow beans whole, just trimming the stem end of each bean. Steam the prepped beans for about 5 minutes being careful not to overdue the cooking process. Toss the steamed beans with the pesto and serve immediately garnished with a few basil leaves.
Serves 6 as a sidedish