Who can resist this most comforting of the comfort foods? Garlic mashed potatoes might take a bit more fussing than simply throwing a few spuds in the oven for an hour so, but the end result is well worth the effort.
- 4 large potatoes
- ¼ cup butter
- 1/3 cup heated milk
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into medium sized chunks.
- Place potatoes into medium sized saucepan and cover with lightly salted water over high heat.
- When water boils turn heat down to medium high and continue to boil until potatoes soften and are cooked through (about 15 minutes).
- While the potatoes are boiling melt the butter in a small skillet over medium high heat and add the minced garlic.
- Sauté the garlic in the butter until the garlic and the butter begin to brown slightly. Watch this mixture closely as the garlic and butter can go from slightly brown to burnt and bitter very quickly!
- Drain the potatoes, place them back in the pot and add butter/garlic mixture. Mash together until the potatoes, butter and garlic bits are well mixed.
- Add the heated milk and continue to mash and mix until everything is light and fluffy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
* All photos used on Planet Janet Kitchen belong to the author and photographer, Janet Moore and may not be re-posted without permission.